84 You Need A Hobby
130 You Have One
Dor

Dor Does Books

Oh, hai! I read books, then I write down what I think of them.

Dora's ARC - How To Build A Girl by Caitlin Moran

How To Build A Girl - Caitlin Moran

You may remember there was an amount of fuss some weeks ago when Caitlin Moran said in an interview there was a dearth of YA books in which girls had adventures, particularly sexy ones. This immediately prompted a twitter hashtag - #caitlinmoranshouldread - where people made recommendations of YA books which had female heroes having adventures, especially sexy ones.

My single biggest regret of the moment is that I read very little YA so I have only the vaguest idea of how these books stack up against Moran's.

What I can tell you is that Moran's comments now make perfect sense to me. AT 40%, the closest comparable title I can come up with is Judy Blume's "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret", if Margaret's obsession with getting her period was replaced with getting to have sex, and if the book had covered wanking. Extensively.

It's not what I think of as YA - more coming of age *hur hur hur* - and I think the average 14-19 year-old will be mystified by most of the references. Do the kids still mosh to the Smashing Pumpkins? Have they heard of Suede?

It's very good, anyway, and funny.