81 You Need A Hobby
127 You Have One
Dor

Dor Does Books

Oh, hai! I read books, then I write down what I think of them.

Rosie Project

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

This is one of those books I picked up from the library because I've seen it billed in many places as "This year's One Day". I didn't like One Day - too martyred to its concept in the first third but it got better after that - but as a writer, I think it's important I keep up with what's big (or supposedly going to be) even if it's not necessarily what I think I'll like. Which is good, because this was pretty enjoyable and nowhere near as hokey as the blurb makes it sound. To begin with I found it a bit heavy handed - there is an early scene in which Don, the main character, gives a lecture about Asperger's apparently unaware he has the condition himself. It's also rather slow to get going. As readers we *know* this is going to be a book about Rosie and Don, it says so on the blurb, yet she doesn't appear until page 40 (I just checked - that's the kind of person I am) and even after that, it took a while to get me interested. But interested I got and liked it I did. I liked the characters. I liked that they were all individually doing their own thing. I liked that Rosie had her own storyline and it's this which drives the book and dominates it far more than Don's Wife Project does. The comparison to One Day is not the best one in the world, but I'm sure it would have a crossover audience, just not with the people who only read a few books a year.