81 You Need A Hobby
127 You Have One
Dor

Dor Does Books

Oh, hai! I read books, then I write down what I think of them.

Rachel's Holiday

Rachel's Holiday - Marian Keyes

I've read this one before but I purchased it recently for a re-read because I've always thought of it as my favourite of Marian Keyes' books. It probably still is. I've said before and I'll no doubt say again that when Marian Keyes is good, she's brilliant and that brilliance lies in the honesty of her characters. She understands what being an addict is. The pacing of the book is excellent, gradually filling in what brought us to the present situation even as that current is moved along. It's the same structure she's used in her most recent (at the time of writing) The Mystery of Mercy Close, but that feels disjointed and heavy handed in comparison to this one. It's littered with Irish vernacular, which I really like. What I'm not a fan of - and it's just a question of personal taste - are the "chick-lit"-ee bits: those obligatory parts of the genre which those who don't read it thinks constitutes its whole. There aren't many of them and they don't detract too desperately, but personally, I could have lived without them. So, yes. I'd recommend it.